A HOME AT 521 N. Elm St. in Pana was heavily damaged by fire Friday afternoon, Mar. 25.
Pana Fire Chief Rod Bland said firemen were called to the scene at 4:47 p.m. and found the home of Robert and Melinda Blades in flames. He said it appears the fire started in the kitchen, but has not been able to determine a cause of the blaze. The State Fire Marshal’s Office was coming to Pana today, Monday, Mar. 28, to investigate.
There was structural damage to the home as well as heavy smoke damage. People were inside the home when the fire started, but the escaped safely. No one was injured in the fire.
Mutual aid was called for from the Oconee and Owaneco fire departments.
In the right photo, Pana fireman Matthew Mahnke uses a chain saw to cut a hole in the roof while fireman Mike Garber stands ready to open it up.
(Gene Reed/Tom Latonis Photos)